Every sport has its different category. It may be single, double or team. Here, we talk about the team sport wherein the activity is worked by a group of players. There might be one player who will stand out within the group but when doing the game, everyone has its corresponding roles. Every member of the team should take decisions, manage conflict and solve problems in a trusting and supportive way to accomplish their goals. Examples of this kind of sport are listed below:
- Football – a kind of game where kicking a ball and making a goal are the main ingredients in playing the game. They are played between two groups of opponents.
- Hockey – a kind of game that is played between opponents which they maneuver a puck or ball using a hockey stick.
- Basketball – a game that is played by two teams that consists five players each team, and it’s played on a rectangular court. Its objective is to shoot the ball in a netted basketball ring.
- Volleyball – a kind of game where six players are involved between opponents, and its goal is to score by digging the ball on the ground over the high net.
- Tennis – a kind of ball game that can be played whether single or doubles with the use of a racket over a net stretched across a court.
- Rugby – a kind of game that is played with an oval ball and each team consists 15 players, and it can be played by kick, carry and pass. The goal is to get a point by grounding the ball, and it’s a full-contact kind of game.
- Rowing – is a kind of sport wherein athlete’s race against each other in boats on lakes or river and sea. It can be maneuvered or played single, doubles or teams.
- Mountaineering – this type of sports is not using a point scoring system but instead, the difficulty of the climb or walk is the basis of the achievement.
- Water polo – this is a team water sport, and it consists of 7 players, including a goal keeper. The sport is using volleyball equipment.
- Lacrosse – this game is one of the team sports who uses a rubber ball and a lacrosse stick. The players usually use pads for protection because it involves body contacts.
- Cricket – it’s a bat-and-ball game wherein two opponents are playing with each other, and each team consists of 11 players.
- Baseball – a kind of game that is played in a diamond-shape circuit, and each team consist of 9 players.
All team sports require discipline, perseverance and teamwork because involving with a team is not easy. Making a best team require long and hard practices and all players should work together equally to achieve the goal.
Sports have discovered a lot of players or athletes that are naturally skilled in time. And because of sports, these people could excel and develop themselves more and make a mark, become famous among all the others all around the world. There are many factors in determining popularity and one of which is having an extraordinary skill that proves worthy of such a position. Here is a list of the top 10 most popular athletes in different sports around the world for the year 2013.
- Neymar, a football player from Brazil – at 22 years old, he has surpassed the skill of the phenomenal soccer player from Argentina, Lionel Messi. He has not played yet in any Europe’s big leagues, but huge spending clubs are all ready to bid a record-breaking deal for him, but he still remains loyal to club Santos.
- Rory McIlroy, a golf player from Northern Island – he is still 23 years, but he won the US open after he picked himself up from a major golf history’s worst final rounds. He also won the US PGA crown earlier this year. He currently has countersignatures with Nike, Oakley, Jumeirah Estates, Santander and Audemars Piguet.
- Lionel Messi, a football player from Argentina – he is known to be one of the gifted football players in the history of Barcelona. He has been declared as the world player of the year for three times at the Ballon d’Or. He has been recognized by many companies and also signed him up such as EA Sports, Pepsi, etc.
- Usain Bolt, an athletics player from Jamaica – he is fast and breaks world records with ease. When we look at him, it seems like sprinting is easy. He often slows down before he reaches the finish line. People of his skill, Puma signed him up.
- Cristiano Ronaldo, a football player from Portugal – when he was still 18 years old, he was already responded by Manchester United from sporting clubs for $130 million dollars; he was retorted by Real Madrid. His admirers are Nike and Castrol.
- Blake Griffin, a basketball player from United States – his amazing dunks made him famous. He is an asset to Clippers that made the team respectable. The companies that noticed are AT&T, Subway and Kia.
- Novak Djokovic, a tennis player from Serbia – he is considered to be one of the best of all time, and broker the duopoly of Federer-Nadal. He has won 5 majors and made countersignature business at the same time; he signed up with Adidas, Mercedes-Benz and Audemars Piguet,
- Sebastian Vettel, a bike rider from Germany – he is known to be the youngest FI champion and double champion the age of 25 years old. For 2013, being the youngest triple champion is on track.
- Tim Tebow, an American football player from United States – the term tebow-ing term has been made part of US because of him. Even though his previous team did not have much faith in him and transferred him to the New York Jets, Jockey and Nike still kept their confidence on him.
- Yani Tseng, a golf player from Taiwan – she has won 5 majors and was declared twice as the player of the year in 2012, and she’s still 23 years old. She signed up for lucrative deals with Taiwan Mobile and Acer.
These players are extra ordinary, and they all deserve their spot.
Sports have made a big impact to everyone’s lives ever since the day it existed. There are different sport phrases, terminology, slang or idioms that are commonly used in a casual conversation. This only proves how much people really love sports. To show you what they are, below is a few of the common terminologies that you should know.
- Ace – it is the best starting pitcher of a baseball team. When we use this term, it means “did very well."
- Bush-league – it is an amateur behavior or play.
- Carry the ball – in football and rugby it means to assume responsibility or take charge.
- Down to the wire – in horse racing, it means you will run the race to the very end or last minute.
- Drop the ball – in rugby, baseball even football, it means to miss the opportunity or to make an error.
- Drop the gloves – this terminology refers to an ice-hockey player engaging in a fight with bare knuckles.
- Full-court press – it means all-out effort to make extra pressure. This is the expression used in basketball where the defenders exert more efforts to the opponent over the entire court.
- Fumble – it means to handle or touch nervously. Especially in football, when a player loses possession of the ball before the play.
- Gambit – in boxing it means a strategy or tactic, and in chess, it is an opening technique which involves the pawn to be sacrificed to gain leadership right from the start.
- Get the balls rolling – in some ball games; it means to start the game or play.
- Go to the mat – in wrestling, it means to engage in dispute or argument until one side is victorious.
- Hang time – in basketball, it means an amount of time a player hangs on the air before releasing the ball. In common usage, when people or friends don’t have a schedule to attend to, they will invite their friends to hang around.
- Have someone in your corner – in boxing, it means to have help or support in your corner.
- Heavy hitter – in boxing, it simply means that the player is a heavy puncher or able to hit hard.
- Hit below the belt – in boxing, it is an illegal move wherein you are hitting an opponent below the belt. This act is unfair because the player disregards the rules.
- Hit a home run – in baseball, it means that the batter hits the ball hard, and he makes a four bases run without stopping, or they simply call it a homer.
- Saved by the bell – in boxing, it means the player is saved by untimely interruption.
These are just few examples that you can hear or commonly used by ordinary people in their conversation.
We can’t just get enough of sports and personally playing the game makes things more exciting. However, since not everyone can become a real rugby player, for example, we can enjoy competing with other players through websites that offer online sports game. And the great thing about it is that most websites offer them for free. It’s very easy. If you are new to this, here are the basic steps on how you can play online.
- Open a browser and type in search engines such as Google or Bing the words "online sports game."
- From the search results, choose any of the websites.
- You will then be led to the website, and you will now choose the game that you would like to play. You can find hundreds of sports game that you can choose from. You will just have to press the desired game and click "play." Just wait for it load up, and you will be ready to enjoy the game.
Here are some online sports games that you will be interested in:
- FIFA online – soccer simulator that can be played in different modes, especially the Co-Op mode.
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour online – you can play it in multiplayer rounds, customize player and invite friends, etc.
Technology made things more exciting and fun for people who really like sports. Playing it online for free will make you become more fanatic to the game that you love. Free games may not contain all the levels and stages. You can buy that certain game, and you will be surely be challenged to complete game levels that it has. You can also download the games through your laptop, phone, tablets, and the like. You will want to check what the website offers online. So what are you waiting for? Play an online sports game now.
When we talk about sports, it usually is more on competitive physical activity. It is done in an organized or casual participation to provide entertainment to all participants or can sometimes be in spectators. Sports have been part of our lives for a long period of time, and it also has made a big impact to everyone. Without the existence of sports, things could have been very different. Below is the list of the importance of sports, especially in children.
- It will open doors for positive opportunities – it can be a great contributor to children’s achievements in school, but some parents may think otherwise as this may depend on how involved the child is. If they participate in challenging sports, they will learn to love classroom challenges as well as how they can function in a competitive world.
- It can develop discipline – every game has a winner and loser, and an athlete will have to learn to discipline themselves for them to persevere and aim for greater achievement.
- It can develop self-confidence – in this competitive world; a child will learn to become a team player or a leader. Every time a child wins, he or she can feel their progress. Children who do not have much physical coordination can also improve themselves.
- It is a fun activity – both children and adult can maintain to be physically healthy while having fun at the same time.
- Develop mathematical skills – children who are fond of watching sports through the television can practice their math skills through scoring. It can be football yardages, bowling scores; baseball averages can be learned by observation.
There are also negative impacts of sports such as children looking up on sports models with immoral behaviors, the promotions of expensive sports clothes and shoes, etc. It will all have to depend on the parents guiding their children to the right sportsmanship and attitude.
Dual sports, another category of activities or games that are only played by 2 players in one team and can also be a form of motorcycling, a street-legal motorcycle also called as dualie is designed for off road and on road use. Dual sports are very different to solo or individual sports since the games or activities, here are played without a partner. To give you more ideas, below is a list of its examples that you should know.
- Tennis – is a sport who can be played individually or between two teams of two players each (doubles). Each player uses rackets, and the main objective is to score against the opponent (play the ball wherein your opponent is not able to return the ball). Tennis has rule variations, which are no advantage, pro set and match tie-break.
- Badminton – it is a kind of sport played by two opposing pairs; which is commonly known as doubles? The sports use rackets and shuttle cock.
- Beach volleyball – it is a kind of sport being played by two opposing team with two players on each side. It is played on sand court, and a team can only hit the ball thrice other than that, the points will be on the opponent side.
- Ice Skating – is a sport played either one or two players. Ice skating can be an outdoor or indoor game. Ice skating dance contest is done indoor.
- Car Racing – it’s a form of circuit auto racing where there is a driver and the map navigator riding with the driver. The driver is the one who controls the wheels, and the navigator reads and navigates the map. The navigator should be precise on his or her calculation and recommendation about the area.
- Billiards – it’s a leisure sport who can be played by singles or doubles with the use of a stick called cue stick on the billiard table with 6 holes in it.
- Squash – it is a racket sport played by two opponents with two players in each team in a four-walled court, and each player hits the ball in an alternate process.
Every sport that consists of two or more members in each team needs perseverance and long practice to have a good harmony in achieving the desired goals. It is hard to be in a team but the result of having teamwork is far better than being an individual player. So, when you decide to have a partner, be sure to stretch your perseverance and endurance to perfect your moves together with your partner.
Individuals who are competing with each other are known to be in the category of solo sports. They are most effective in playing individually and not being in a team. There are many different solo sports that are popular. Here is a few of this sport category that most people really like.
- Archery – a skill that propels arrows using a bow usually used for recreational activity today.
- Athletics – it’s a competitive collection of sports events such as jumping, running, walking and throwing. The common competitions are track and field, race waking, road running and cross country running.
- Bodybuilding – bodybuilders line up, and act poses that are specified and will perform their individual routines right after. A panel of judges based their criteria on muscularity, symmetry and conditioning.
- Badminton – is a known racquet sport played by singles or doubles, which are opposing players.
- Boxing – it is known as a combat sport wherein two people engage using their strength, reflexes, speed, will and endurance. They wear gloves while throwing punches at each other.
- Skating – it can be a sport or recreational activity that uses skates to travel on ice or surfaces.
- Golf – it is a precision club and ball type of sport. The golfers use different kinds of clubs to the balls using a few strokes to a series of holes on a certain course.
- Gymnastics – it is a performance of exercises, which requires power, flexibility, physical strength, grace, coordination and balance.
- Judo – a modern martial art, Olympic and combat type of sport wherein the objective to defeat the opponent, whether by takedown or throw.
- Skiing – it is a competitive sport as well as a recreational activity at the same time. The participant travels on top of the snow by using skis or long runners to shoes or boots in their feet.
There are still many solo sports out there that people would like to become part of to compete or make it as a recreational activity. If you do not want to be part of a team, then consider the different solo sports that are available in your area.
Olympic sports are sports that feature summer and winter Olympic Games wherein many countries will compete with each other, and it is considered to be the world’s number one game competition. The event is sanctioned by the international sports federation. The games of the Olympic grew gradually throughout time. There are new games that are included, and some were discontinued. The games to be included in the Olympic sports are the games being played at least by 75 countries. Here are some games that are still considered in the event:
- Beach volleyball
- Field hockey
- Modern pentathlon
- Track and field
- Water polo
- Weight lifting
Here are games that are discontinued due to lack of participation and other circumstances:
- Motor boating
- Under-water swimming
- Plunge for distance
- Obstacle race for swimming
- Jeu de paume
Olympic sports are divided into categories based on popularity, television viewing figures, gauge of ticket request, press coverage and other factors. The category regulates the share received by international federation of Olympic revenue.
The following sports are categorized from A to E:
- Category A –aquatics, athletics, and gymnastics.
- Category B –basketball, football, cycling, volleyball and tennis.
- Category C – badminton, boxing, archery, rowing, judo, table tennis, shooting and weight lifting.
- Category D – equestrian, fencing, canoe/kayaking, field hockey, handball, taekwondo, sailing, wrestling and triathlon.
- Category E – golf, rugby and modern pentathlon.
The events have ceremonies to be followed accordingly:
- Opening ceremony – before the event has occurred, this ceremony takes place. The hosting country presents artistic music and theatre representation of their cultures. After this, there will be a parade into the stadium, grouped by nation.
- Closing ceremony – after all the sporting events have ended, this ceremony takes place. Flag-bearers from each country will enter the stadium, followed by the athletes without any national distinction.
- Medal presentation – medal ceremony is awarded after each event has concluded. The first place is awarded a gold medal; second place is awarded a silver medal, and the third place is awarded a bronze medal. The final gold medal is for the over-all champion (nation) of the competition.
Olympic sports increase the economic and social impact of the hosting country. There is also a setback in hosting Olympics because you will need big area for the events and sometimes the eviction and housing rights will be disregarded. But over-all, it creates more investors and invites a lot of visitors.